You can’t go wrong with Pepperoni Stuffed Chicken for dinner!
It comes together easier than one might think and is ready in under 30 minutes!
One thing I really miss about making dinner in the summer is grilling chicken. Grilled anything really. So when it comes time to put a little chicken in the menu rotation stuffing it with pepperoni makes me miss grilling season a little less.
Don’t be fooled into thinking this is difficult to throw together. It starts with just a chicken breast sliced in half length wise and pounded thin. Each chicken breast gets a few pepperoni slices, pinch of mozzarella, a dash of italian seasoning and rolled up before gently tossing in a tray of egg and breadcrumbs.
You could serve these to guests straight from the oven or slice them like I did above making it a little easier for the kiddos. Served with a simple green salad, this dinner is here to stay!
I saw this recipe first from one of my favorite bloggers who got it out of the Skinnytaste Fast and Slow cookbook. They HAVE NOT resorted to using their iPhone for photos like someone I know. Ahem. Clearly they’re more awesome and dedicated than I am lately (or ever). I like to think they keep beautiful, I keep it real. So I tell myself.
I left out the mushrooms (though I LOVE them) just to make it easier to roll-up and keep everything together when going to slice. I also omitted adding diced peppers on top but you could certainly include whatever favorite toppings you like. Personally, you can’t wrong with keeping it simple.
Pepperoni Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- 2-3 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced in half lengthwise
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 12-18 slices pepperoni
- 1/3 cup garlic and herb seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 TB parmesan cheese
- 1/4 c egg whites or 1 egg
- 1 TB fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup marinara or pizza sauce
- finely diced red onion
- Preheat oven to 450. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or use non stick spray and set aside.
- In a small tray or plate add the egg and fresh lemon juice and in another the bread crumbs and parmesan cheese. Set each aside.
- Start by pounding your chicken breasts, that have been sliced in half, to about 1/4 in thick. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and italian seasoning.
- Assemble each chicken breast with 3 pepperoni's on one end topped with a bit of mozzarella. Roll up the chicken and gently coat with the egg mixture then into the breadcrumbs.
- Place each chicken roll up seam side down on your prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes then remove from the oven.
- Top each chicken roll-up with a spoonful of pizza sauce, more mozzarella cheese and your diced red onion. Return to the oven for 2-5 more minutes or until the cheese is melted and chicken is cooked through.0.1http://www.onestrangeherd.com/pepperoni-stuffed-chicken/copyright One Strange Herd