Carrot cake cookies that are macro friendly, perfectly soft with the right amount of spice and hint of orange, freeze well and only 53 calories each?! Yes I’ll have another, please! A recipe success x100 and they’re super simple to throw together…
A big pet peeve of mine is stumbling upon a cookie recipe labeled as “healthy.” Usually the recipe contains copious amounts of things like almond butter, honey, oats and dark chocolate to name a few. People believe that because these are “clean” or use “natural” ingredients that they can consume them freely. Well I’m here to tell you, those recipes are often HUGE calorie bombs, high in carbs and fat. If you’re trying to lose weight, creating a calorie deficit is key and you CAN overeat on the “healthy” stuff.
With that said these carrot cake cookies come in at only 53 calories a piece with 2.1g fat, 7.3g carbs and 1.2g protein and they’re DELICIOUS!! I will warn you though…you can’t eat just one. “NEVER have I ever…eaten one just one homemade cookie.” Drink! (if you’ve not seen the Big Bang Theory episode where they play Never Have I Ever….look it up. cry with laughter funny)
Enjoy a carrot cake cookie or two with breakfast, pack some for a pre-workout, add them as a treat to your work lunch, or hide in the pantry and eat them so your kids don’t know you have cookies. They’re great with coffee too!
Just go make them already so I’m not talking to myself. Or go buy what you need to make them. Or borrow ingredients from your neighbor. And if you’re super weird and don’t like carrot cake then share this recipe with someone who’s normal and would appreciate it.
- 2 cups (250g) shredded carrots
- 1/4 c. + 2 TB brown sugar
- 4TB. butter, melted
- 1/2 tsp grated orange rind
- 2TB. unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup all purpose white flour
- 1/2 cup kodiak cakes (protein buttermilk pancake mix)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- Using a food processor with grater attachment (or handheld grater on medium blade side) shred carrots and add to a large mixing bowl along with brown sugar and melted butter. Stir to combine.
- Next, add grated orange rind, applesauce, vanilla extract and egg and stir until thoroughly combined.
- In a small mixing bowl add flour, cinnamon, baking soda and baking powder. Gently stir then add to bowl with wet mixture. You got it...stir it again to combine.
- Drop by rounded spoonful or 1" cookie scoop onto a parchment lined cookie sheet. Bake at 350* for 8-9 minutes.
- Makes approximately 24 cookies. They freeze really well too! Allow to cool completely then store in freezer approved ziplock bag. Heat for 20 seconds and enjoy!