Flavors abound in this healthy greek grilled chicken and lentil salad with cucumbers, red onion, cherry tomatoes, feta cheese and a light vinegar and oil dressing!
Lentils are unique little characters that come in 4 different varieties: brown, green, red, and speciality. They work well in a variety of dishes and serve as a great vegetarian protein option. This greek inspired salad uses the brown variety which has a nice mild earthy flavor. Earthy as in a very mild bean texture and flavor, not as in dirt.
Back to their uniqueness…they don’t require presoaking like their dry legume brotha’s and sista’s. If you’re lucky enough to score a bag (or bag in a box) that’s precooked you’re one step ahead. Month’s back Trader Joe’s featured a lentil, shrimp and broccoli Alfredo at their sample station. Never knowing they even carried these handy packages of lentils I quickly grabbed 2 boxes (located in the produce refrigerated section) and walked through the aisles dreaming up recipes.
Enough about lentils already…let’s talk about this greek marinated and grilled chicken! Yum!
The marinade is a simple cast of characters featuring 1 cup greek yogurt, 2 cloves minced garlic, 2 tsp dried oregano, fresh squeezed lemon juice and some salt and pepper.
I always slice our chicken breasts in half and pound them to a uniform thickness. Allow the chicky to marinate for at least 30 minutes and then toss on a preheated grill for about 6-7 minutes each side.
After removing the chicken from the grill, cover it with foil and allow it to rest 3-5 minutes before slicing. When marinating chicken for the grill ALWAYS make extra! You’ll be so glad you have leftovers to quickly prep healthy lunches throughout the week.
While the chicken rests, whisk up the vinegar and oil dressing: 2 TB red wine vinegar, 1 TB olive oil, 1 tsp dried oregano, squeeze of lemon juice, and a dash of salt and pepper. I like to drizzle a bit of dressing over the steamed lentils so they can absorb the flavors. Then layer on some juicy marinated sliced chicken…YUM!
And if you don’t polish it all off, the flavors are terrific the next day too. Lentils can be eaten warm or cold so it makes for a perfect on-the-go lunch.
and Lentil Salad
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 TB fresh squeezed lemon juice, about 1/2 a lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 TB red wine vinegar
- 1 TB extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- small squeeze of lemon juice
- dash of salt and pepper
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced in half lengthwise and pounded to uniform thickness.
- 2 cups steamed lentils (follow directions on package if not using precooked)
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1/4 cup fat free feta cheese
- 1/2 cucumber, sliced and quartered
- 1/4 red onion, diced
- Mix all ingredients for marinade and toss with chicken. Allow chicken to marinate in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- While chicken is marinating prepare lentils, cherry tomatoes, cucumber and onions. Set aside.
- Preheat grill and cook chicken 6-7 minutes each side or until cooked throughout. Remove and cover with foil 3-5 minutes before slicing.
- While chicken rests whisk dressing ingredients; set aside.
- In a large bowl add cooked lentils, tomatoes, red onion, cucumber and feta; stir to combine. Add dressing to taste and stir to combine.
- Fill serving bowls with lentil mix and top with sliced grilled chicken!